Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Visiting Waverton


Hello and welcome to the first of my weekly outings to a suburban Sydney main street.

Introduction 

I just love a main street (or high street as they’re known in the UK)- the buzz of weaving in and out of boutique clothing stores, cafes, book shops, bakeries, delis, galleries and more. I love that you can still be outdoors, enjoying fresh air and seeing the colours of the sky and street whilst exploring creative little nooks that stimulate the imagination and senses.

Weekly Assignment

As mentioned in my “About Me” page, I am setting myself a weekly excursion to a main street in a Sydney suburb that is accessible by train. I can’t possibly visit all 175 of them, it will take me years but I intend to visit one each week till I get a job, and perhaps even beyond that depending on my new timetable.  This will hopefully fill my excess free time with a purpose and bring me some joy.

Which Sydney suburb to visit?

The process of deciding which suburb to visit is a bit of fun in itself. Using an on line alphabet spinning wheel (I used scattegories wheeldecide spinner), much like a roulette wheel. I had my daughter click to start, and watched the colourful wheel spin quickly then gradually slow down until the black arrow pointed at a random letter.  
For the first spin, the wheel landed on “W”.  That narrowed things down somewhat but I still had 16 stations to choose from!
I decided on Waverton as I had never been there before despite living in Sydney for over 32 years.
Well, what a fantastic choice it turned out to be! 

How to get there 

So easy to get to, just 4 stops from Town Hall on the North Shore line. (T1 orange).  It felt more like a tourist outing than a main street visit. As soon as the train started pulling into Waverton, I saw the landscape of gorgeous Federation homes amongst gums  on a slightly elevated terrain.  The main street is Bay Street which you immediately step on as you exit the station. 

What shops/cafes did I find along the main street ? 

There was a gourmet butcher on the right of the train station on Bay st, with a large bottle shop next door, both enticing. If I'd brought a cooler bag, I would've made some purchases especially the gourmet sausages, they looked amazing.  
Giuseppe's Gourmet Meats


The Botanica Garden Café, directly across the road from the station was particularly eccentric and I had a wander through and took photos. Particularly touching, was a sign out the front that stated they would provide a free cuppa for those in need of one.




This little suburb had a strong community spirit, which became increasingly evident as I moved along Bay St, which became Balls Head Drive as it reached the peninsula. Everywhere in this little suburb, in and outside the shops and cafes, were free book nooks, take one and leave one. (I scored the Birdman's wife, I would happily have paid for but my money was refused).

As I walked down the pretty tree lined streets with its charming period homes and immaculately kept gardens, I caught water glimpses and a few more cafes along the way – of note, The Grumpy Baker and the Waterview café, both enticing with indoor and side walk options.


At Balls Head was the historic site of a Coal Loader that operated from 1920’s till 1992. And on the very same site, occupying the old care taker’s cottage, is now a sustainability centre. I love the irony!  There was also an extensive community garden and posters advertising an upcoming artisan’s market.  There was reference to Aboriginal heritage of the Cammerygal people but unfortunately I didn’t see the rock caving – a good excuse to return!






I had brunch at the Coal Loader Café, poached eggs with a side of bacon and a cap! Its sandstone and corrugated iron walls, in keeping with the former industrial and geographical location. I shared the space with the usual parents of babies, retired folk and some additional sailors from HMAS Waterhen naval base.   

Coal Loader cafe


Great walking opportunities right around the peninsula with stunning views of the harbour, including the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Cape Don (an old light house maintenance ship), the remains of the grand coal loader wharf, and other water activity. 






In Summary

Much more than a high street. An easily accessible tourist destination. Layers of history and a forward looking community in a pretty suburb with great cafes and harbour views.




1 comment: