Pages

Friday, April 24, 2020

Life is a roller coaster



It’s been about 10 days since I last posted. My emotions and thoughts are see-sawing all over the place. I’m  feeling a tonne of gratitude one day, (for gorgeous weather, excellent back yard, no serious financial stress, having the company of my little family) the next, I’m riddled with angst, (am I ever going to get a job??? My throat feels odd, I must have the virus and my body won’t cope with it…) then frustration, (How could I have forgotten to buy frozen peas??) then boredom ( we’ve been playing the same board game every day for weeks) and even guilt, ( for others less fortunate).   Such is life living during a pandemic. What I don’t want to feel, however, is complacent. I can’t help worrying about the premature easing of social distancing restrictions. As I write, I’ve just heard that Clovely, Maroubra and Bronte beaches have had to close a day after reopening as people weren’t exercising and it became dangerously crowded.  Anyone with half a brain could have predicted that.   It’s tough and it’s sad but they shouldn’t have opened them to begin with.
 It’s such a fine balance between being cautious but not so much that you’re obsessing, and not letting go to the extent that you put yourself and others in danger.


Good weather is the tonic for all ills



One thing I’ve definitely noticed, is my mood is heavily influenced by the weather. Luckily, right now Autumn in Sydney is probably the nicest time of the year. Crisp fresh mornings give way to warm, windless days. I make a point to get outside as much as I can. Yesterday, Austgrid workers were doing some work in our neighbourhood which meant we had no power for almost 6 hours.  So I went down to the garage, looked through our camping equipment and found our camper’s kettle. I took it and a grill plate up to the back yard, lit a campfire and proceeded to have a delicious lunch and tea. It was the yummiest cheese toastie I’ve had in a while. And nothing beats the ritual of placing a kettle on the fire and patiently waiting for the whistle to indicate the water has boiled and pouring a cup of tea. Then to sit back and watch the bird life and take in the air. Nothing like it. 



So grateful that we moved to this property with a huge back yard. Previously we lived in an apartment. Now that would’ve been a bit more of a challenge at this time.


We played French cricket in the back yard the other day which was a hoot! Even my 12 year old daughter who needs soooo much persuading to join in with daggy parents, enjoyed it. We all laughed that real genuine laugh that comes from playing games. Again, weather was a huge factor as it was the most perfect of Autumn days.

More creative ways to connect

I’ve been following view from my window. It has a huge following with over 1 million people posting photos from their windows, verandahs, porches. Some tell us their stories – occasionally sad and touching. It’s a bit of a mixed feeling though. Most of the views are stunning with wild life, paddocks, mountains, lakes etc and therefore those posting are fortunate souls. What about the poor buggers with crap views? It may make them feel worse, however, people are so kind with their words of encouragement and remind us of our common humanity.    

The funny/Ironic

I’ve been complaining about there being too many people out and about in the local area- supposedly “exercising”, ruining my walk as I have to duck and weave all the time. What I didn’t realise of course, is that I’m one of them! Ha ha. Perhaps I just need to consider varying my routes and going at different times of the day.

The bad



My mind was going a bit nuts this week. A physical problem I’ve had since December flared up again. I kept having to remind myself that my symptoms pre-date corona virus. I had to hunt out the written info given to me by my health care professional and realised my symptoms were in fact an exact match for laryngeal reflux not Covid 19. 

The frustrating

Shopping Blues

So, I’ve been saying to my husband for the past few weeks that I’m done with going to the supermarket. The place terrifies me, or worse, it feels so normal that I totally forget to take care. The social distancing rule is a joke here. When you’re focused on finding a particular product, you’re in your own little world and don’t realise the next person is within whisper of your face doing exactly the same thing.  It’s all very well to pack your own bags but the sales assistant still handles everything in order to scan it. I’ve done the auto check out but it really isn’t efficient when you have a large trolley.



Anyhow, I said to hubby, let’s shop fortnightly instead of weekly and get fresh stuff delivered in between.  For us that is a change and it means we need to make sure we think of everything we need to last for 2 weeks. So what do I find in the pantry? An empty jar of peanut butter that fooled me as I thought we didn’t need any. I keep telling my family to please write it on the shopping list if you know we are low on an item and please do not put it back in the pantry/fridge if it is empty for God’s sake. Pissed off I am. My plan was to make peanut butter protein balls to tide us over for health snacks till our fresh fruit stock was replenished. There’s that idea out the window. Then hubby observes that his particular cereal has run out so he’ll just pop in to Coles on Saturday (the very next day after our fresh fruit n veg delivery) and get some stuff. !!!! Come on guys! Can’t you help me out here? Why didn’t you ask me to buy extra packets of cereal? Or why can’t you just eat the other cereal that is in the pantry or have an egg or toast???     


We are so spoilt that we just can’t go without our comforts 100% of the time.  We have to have every kind of spread and cheese and not just spaghetti but penne and rigatoni too.
God what about those who live in the country miles away from any shop? They don’t go back and forth whenever they’ve run out of bloody tea bags. Worse still, what about those who are not only living during a pandemic, but don’t have enough to eat, don’t have a roof over their heads and have to live in fear for their lives due to war?
I know it’s all relative but gee.



Lessons learnt

I guess it’s about adapting and trial and error and it takes a while to get it right. You have to live through something in order to learn and understand what’s needed. 
According to studies, it takes 3 weeks to change a simple habit, more like 8 weeks or more to change others.
Let go of perfectionism.
And communicate more often. If we’re in agreement about the same goals, then we’re more likely to achieve them and there’s less burden on one member of the family who in turn will feel less resentful. 
Let go of blame and judgement. We’re all in the same boat.



No comments:

Post a Comment