Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Visiting Marrickville


Ok this week I didn’t spin the alphabet wheel, I just wanted to review Marrickville as I was going there anyway.

Marrickville is an Inner west suburb of Sydney, on the T3 (orange) Bankstown line.  It takes 11 minutes by train from Central.  

It's an old suburb with plenty of history as well as light industry but what makes it unique is its cultural diversity.   Here you’ll find Greek bakeries sitting alongside Filipino supermarkets, Vietnamese restaurants and shops selling everything from seafood and bok choy, to books and second hand clothes.  Add to that an emerging younger, professional and artistic mix and you have a very groovy cosmopolitan village.
vibrant Streetscape, Marrickville Rd

As you exit Marrickville station you find yourself on Illawarra Rd. Turn left where you’ll find the Hellenic Patisserie – a stalwart of the Greek community. I could not visit Marrickville without a purchase of their delicious almond pastries. It is a treat for the eyes and taste buds this place.  



Greek pastries, Hellenic Patisserie 

 When I think of Marrickville eateries, I think of the supermarket/factory- type restaurants with plastic table cloths and no frills décor but I was thrilled to see the emergence of a much trendier kind of restaurant. Converted semis and bungalows in amongst the residential homes, their tiny spaces crammed with customers spilling out onto the side- walks. These eateries were more like street food shops that you find overseas.  I was intrigued by Ba Oanh and a local assured me its the best food and waved me inside. I watched the women working but the place was full. - Next time.

nothing to hide here inside Ba Oanh

Ba Oanh 



I chose the aptly named VN Street Foods to have lunch.  A shrill voice was heard singing a Vietnamese pop song as I perched myself on a converted milk crate with wooden slab and sat at a low square wooden table.  The large windows and entrance doors left wide open, gave you that outside in feel.  I chose Beef Pho. Love the ritual of adding mint leaves, bean sprouts and a squeeze of lime. The medicinal broth was delicious but I thought the meat tasted a bit weird.  There was a youngish and hip looking crowd here – Vietnamese men wearing berets, a group of Asian friends, a dad and toddler.

Pho VN Street Foods, Illawarra Rd



I walked past plenty of Vietnamese supermarkets that made me want to go home immediately  and cook up a stir fry with all those lush greens.  Just before turning into Marrickville rd was the tiniest Vietnamese shop selling exclusively “pork” rolls. Cute!   







But it isn’t just Vietnamese fare that you’ll find here. Turning into Marrickville Rd, I counted several  hotels, 4 charity shops, an amazingly quirky book shop, Urchin and a gift shop selling creative wares called Hypmotive Hub. I love the arty sculptures atop the building facades and the mosaic tiles on the pavement boasting the suburb’s vibrant cultural community.  There is a touch of grunge about the place and it isn’t exactly beautiful but it is authentic and vibrant. It's starting to look a bit like its neighbouring suburbs of Enmore and Newtown.  I only stuck to the T junction but there is more to see in Marrickville- I may need to do a Part 2. Goody, all the more reason to come again!  
mosaic on pavement Marrickville Rd 


Hypmotive Hub



Urchin Bookstore


 Summary: A vibrant, culturally diverse suburb with great eating options particularly Vietnamese street food and plenty of other shops as well 

No comments:

Post a Comment