Pages

Friday, March 6, 2020

visiting Summer Hill


This week the scattegories spinner landed on the letter S.  There are 12 Sydney train stations starting with S.
I chose Summer Hill.

Summer Hill is an inner- western suburb of Sydney about 9kms from the city. It is on the T2 (light blue) Inner west and Leppington line, 12 minutes from Redfern station.  

I love this little village. I lived here in a share house a few decades ago when I was a student, but you wouldn’t be able to do that now- with gentrification the house and rent prices are out of anybody’s reach. It’s hard to believe the transformation of this once daggy “out west” suburb. There was nothing, and I mean nothing there back in the 80’s  except a supermarket. (ok maybe a newsagent, butcher and the pub- not a uni-friendly  pub if you know what I mean).
Mural of Summer Hill in its Plaza

There’s a bit of history in this suburb evidenced by the terraces, architecture and churches. Glad to see they haven’t all been torn down and replaced with sterile apartments as is the case in many other suburbs. Indeed it’s the grunge factor of peeling facades, stain glassed windows, mosaic tiles and rusty old shop signs that give this suburb so much character. So nice to see former milk bars, corner stores and grand terraces converted into cafes, wine bars, medical centres and restaurants.   



Lackey st



Purple Trees


All the action is on Lackey and Smith streets which are on your left as you exit Summer Hill station on the Carlton Cres side.  Immediately on exiting the station I see a cute little corner café on the other side of the road, Purple trees. Its position on the corner, with open door so that I could peer in was most inviting. It had that cosy, warm, urban feel- dogs and all, but I wanted to take a stroll before brunch. On the opposite side of the road was Heritage Coffee Brewers.   

My first stop was a beautiful little gift shop Urban Euphoria. So pleased to see this store is still in business after 12 years. A hand painted stool of a green parrot in the shop window caught my eye followed by other visual treats of brightly coloured planters. (I’m just loving planters at the moment – have you noticed, they’re really on trend). I struck up an easy conversation with the sales assistant which really adds to the shopping experience. Pretty jewellery was for sale and I scored a pair of silver and jade earrings for $25.  I remember this store for its unique cards at the entrance-little works of art on card.
Walking down Lackey st, I see a stunning display of flowers outside a fruit n veg shop. And hanging from the ceiling are strings of garlic and wicker baskets. Inside were deli items and middle eastern food. Proud, friendly store keepers inside.
Next to it was another gift shop The Trading Circle. Aptly chosen music by Putanyo world music  created a relaxed and joyful ambience. The store claims its products are made by women in impoverished countries. Their creative designs use recycled materials.

out front of Fruit n Veg store, Lackey st

inside fruit n vege store, Lackey st

Inside Urban Euphoria 

The Trading Circle with  giftwares made of recycled materials



Further down the street was Plunge 46, packed out with customers. I’ve eaten there before. It’s a large industrial type space selling wholesome food, good service too on that occasion.

Crossing the T junction into Smith st, I got so caught up in the décor of Decolata, both inside and out, that before I knew it I was sitting down and ordering food. This French inspired café was a treat for the senses. The walls were covered in huge black n white pictures, world clocks and French art whilst jazz music softly played. There’s also a garden out back.  I was impressed with the waitress who patiently listened to my coffee needs, totally understood (unlike some people who look at me like I’ve got two heads), and wanted to know what I thought of it once served.  My cappaccino was absolutely bang on perfect. I had a meal too – nothing to rave about but it was generous, tasty and filling. The only thing I didn’t enjoy was that I was the only customer for a while and it felt a bit strange. There was another staff member busying herself behind the counter who gave a bit of a negative vibe.
A couple of doors up from Decolata was a freakshow of a café called Drugstore. The barista was very welcoming and invited me in to take photos even though I wasn’t going to eat there. This place was a bit like the Museum of Contemporary Art. There was a giant glass bowl filled with plastic doll heads, a giant spider climbing the wall, a row of bald mannequin heads, a TV filled with water displaying a doll and playing cards all over the ceiling….


Inside Decolata- a French inspired cafe

brunch at Decolata including delicious cap

Peeking into Drugstore cafe

creatively decorated Drugstore cafe

I liked the way the two cafes have their barista right up front making coffee which is visible from the street, like a theatre box office window. 
There was a dog grooming salon and a Vinnies and the old post office converted into a restaurant, its chimenea sending delicious wafts of smoke in the air. Across the road was Envy, an attractive deli café on the corner.  This one topped the reviews online, so I must come back and check it out.   The Rio had me intrigued. It was closed. They’ve kept the old crumbling façade of what was once a milk bar and it looked totally abandoned till I peered through the window and saw a modern, funky looking bar. Would be nice to have that as your local.

Envy cafe Smith st 


 former milk bar facade, now Rio wine bar

 Smith st, Summer Hill

I popped around to the supermarket which is off the streets and in a plaza- complete with fountain and wall mural on the other side of the car park. Well, that’s the nicest IGA I have ever seen! (With prices to match, iceberg lettuce going for $6). It had a cheese store, bakery, deli and Chinese mini supermarket within a spacious and attractive store.

Fountain in Summer Hill Plaza

speaks for itself, Lackey st Butcher 

Village Patisserie, Lackey st 
On my way back up Lackey st, I popped into the Village Patiserrie, and bought some lamingtons to take home. 

Summary of Summer Hill visit: More than a main street, a quirky little village where old and grungy is celebrated in its numerous rustic cafes and stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment